BLOGGER TEMPLATES AND TWITTER BACKGROUNDS »

Sunday, September 2, 2007

Yucky with a capital Yuck!

I'm not one to really freak out about much, but what I saw the other day was eye-opening to say the least. Have you ever given any thought to what happens to the shopping carts when they are not being used? I hadn't. I've been noticing the boxes of wipes that are offered to wash off the handles on the carts at certain stores. I've used them a few times. After what I saw today, I think that I'll have to take my own cleaning supplies to de-contaminate the stinkin' cart where ever I shop! At this particular Meijer, there were two fairly long rows of carts parked very close to where we pulled up to wait on my husband. I was looking out the window of the van and that's when I noticed nasty little birds running in and out of almost every cart lined up. They were in the seat, on the handles and seemed like everywhere in between. I really had never given it a thought that the carts we use to put our groceries and our children in, are being molested by nasty dirty yucky little birds!


EEEEEEWWWWWWWWWW! Birds are full of germs and I can just see a mom with a small baby putting her baby in the seat and of course that baby is going to try and taste anything she/he can get to. Yuck!! Now I understand those new things you can buy to put over the seat and handle of the shopping cart. I have to admit that until now I thought the covers were over-kill, but now..... I think they are a must if you have a baby that can sit-up in the cart.

Again, I'm normally fairly level-headed and don't freak out about too much, but for some reason, little birds using the carts as a playgroud just makes my stmoach turn.

I didn't have my camera with me so I had to use my camera phone to take the pictures. They aren't very clear and you can only see one bird in each picture, but trust me there are at least 10 hanging out.

I've tried to figure out how I can do my shopping without a cart, but I don't think there is anyway I can do it. Soooo, I guess I'll be carrying my own antibacterial wipes with me so that maybe I'll feel safe enough to let Khoa ride in the cart without being afraid that he will end up with some nasty birdy turdy germs on his precious little hands.

2 comments:

AHNNA LEIGH'S MAMA said...

I KNOW WHAT YOU MEAN! I HAVE ONE OF THE SEAT COVERS AND CARRY CLOROX WIPES IN AHNNA LEIGH'S DIAPER BAG. I DIDN'T THINK ABOUT IT MUCH (I'M NOT REALLY A GERM-A-PHOBE)UNTIL ZACH'S GRANDMOTHER GOT A MERSA INFECTION AND HER DOCTOR SAID IT IS ETTING MORE COMMON FOR PEOPLE TO GET IT FROM PUBLIC PLACES LIKE GROCERY CARTS! EWWWWW!

Jessica said...

That's not half as gross as this. NEVER put fruit, bread or other food in the top part of the cart. It is a proven fact that that part is COVERED in germs including e-coli due to people putting their babies in the seat with out one of those cart covers. Think leaky diaper. Even with the best diapers germs leak out. EEEEEEEEEEEEEEEEWWWW. My local news did a story on this about a year ago and ever since I refuse to even use that top part for anything. I just fold it up.